Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Farmer Browns

I have been going on a food expedition throughout San Francisco since I have arrived. I have found numerous places that have the most amazing food. I have been craving soul food and have been looking throughout the city. I have found place in 1300onFillmore that served up a new twist on on Soul Food. My fiance, knowing I wanted to have Soul Food had stumbled across a restaurant called Farmer Browns. She had found out about Farmer Browns on a show on called Check Please Bay Area. She then of course Yelp! it and found that most of the reviews for the restaurant were very good. So one night we decided to head downtown to check it out. Upon arriving to the restaurant I was taken back by the exterior of the location. There were bars on the windows and a gated fence with a security guard. Once I saw this I thought of Magic Johnsons TGIF located in Los Angeles, Ca, where they need security guards for an below average experience. Even with these thoughts already we still headed inside.

Upon entering there is a big wooden door with a curtain draped behind it. The bar is located on the right hand side of the restaurant as you enter with the hostess table to your left. When I walked in the door all I could hear was soulful music playing over loud speakers. As a glanced further left I noticed there was a D.J. booth with a D.J. doing live spinning for the restaurant. We speak with the hostess and are seated immediately. To my right there was a projection screen playing a video of break dancing in Los Angeles. The entire time while you are eating, ordering, conversing, and watching the film the D.J. is spinning tunes for you. There was Jill Scott played, Jackson 5, and Gangstarr to name a few. I definitely felt right at home in the restaurant.

Once I finally looked at the menu I decided to try the gumbo out as an appetizer. Now my grandma makes the best gumbo in the world to me and I know that when I usually go to places and order gumbo its never lives up to anything of what I am expecting. Well let me tell you that Farmer Browns Gumbo lived up to my expectations and exceeded them. It was so delicious and tasty. All of the flavors of the rue, rice, seafood inside of your mouth was amazing. The cup of gumbo with a  side of corn bread to top off the appetizer just right.

For Dinner My fiance and I decided that one of us would order their Fried Chicken (Signature Dish) and the other would get the Pull Pork Sandwich. Now after eating at 1300onFillmore I was a little afraid to have the fried chicken because after having Chicken at 1300onFillmore I was afraid their chicken would not live up to the billing. But boy was I in for a surprise. If anyone grew up on fried chicken you always knew that smell of fried chicken and the way it would find you anywhere in the house calling your name. Coming downstairs to see your mom hovering over the stove with you trying to steal some chicken without her noticing. Well this is how good that fried chicken tasted. It had the familiar taste of my mom hovering over the stove and making a fresh batch for dinner. Not to mention the greens that came with it tasted like grandma's greens that she grows fresh out of her garden right in the backyard of her house. The Macaroni and cheese was quite delicious as well. There could of been more cheese melted baked into it but it was still a great third piece to the meal. My Fiance order the Pull Pork Sandwich which I tasted and was quite delicious. She didn't finish it all but said she enjoyed it. The pulled pork sandwich came with bbq chips which were ok. There was a lot on the plate's between fried chicken, pulled pork and gumbo. For dessert we decided we would share some Red Velvet cake. Now after having two great dishes I automatically assumed that I cake would be the most delicious red velvet cake of my life. Sadly to say it was not. It was a little to dry for my taste and  we did not finish it sadly to say.

I would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone who is looking to go to dinner to have a great experience with food and music. The vibe of the place is very uplifting with everyone seeming to have a good time. There was people of all types enjoying soul food the way it should be. If you want to check it out go to 25 Mason St. San Francisco, Ca. 415.409.Farm.




Enjoy your eating.

Jason

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...